Write your answers in a Word document and save it to the drop box, naming it with your First Name, Last Name, Countries Quiz. You will receive 1 extra credit point for each correct answer that you supply. You may use any internet sites you feel will help you find the answers to these questions.
1. Is Reno, Nevada east or west of Los Angeles?
2. Going from the Atlantic to the Pacific, through the Panama Canal, what is your direction of travel -- east or west?
3. Which state goes further north -- Maine or Idaho?
4. The mainland U.S. is approximately 3000 miles from East to West, and so is China. The U.S. has 4 time zones. How many time zones does China have?
5. Which of the 50 states are furthest North, South, East, and West?
6. Which city is furthest west -- Pensacola, FL, Indianapolis, IN, or Louisville, KY?
7. Which city is further East -- New Orleans, LA, or Chicago, IL?
8. Which country in Europe, with its dependencies, has the largest area?
9. What is the most popular city name in the U.S.: Jefferson, Washington, Lincoln, Fairview, Franklin, Midway, or Oak Grove?
10. Match country and currency.
a. Dollar 1. Zimbabwe
b. Peso 2. Guinea Bissau
c. Pound 3. Sudan
d. dinar 4. Tunisia
e. Lira 5. Turkey
f. Franc 6. Djibouti
g. Shilling 7. Uganda
11. How many states in the United States?
12. The Former Soviet Union -- How many independent nation/states did it become?
13. How many members of the UN as of 1 January 1997?
14. Population of the Earth in US billions as of 1 January 1997, rounded to the nearest billion (and expressed as a single digit).
15. Number of colors in the flag of Mauritius.
16. Number of US states that begin and end with the same letter.
17. Number of hours, expressed as a positive number, between Pacific Standard Time and Greenwich Mean (Coordinated Universal) Time.
18. Number of moons of Mars.
19. Number of Landlocked Countries in South America.
20. The number of duties required of every practicing Muslim, TIMES the number of times a day every practicing Muslim must pray.
21. Height, in stories, of the Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong.
22. Number of different people who have been Prime Minister of Canada, from MacDonald to Chretien.
23. How many times Brazil's teams have been World Cup soccer champions.
24. Value, in Rupiah, of the bill with an orang utan on the back. (Alternate: the value in dollars of the US bill showing McKinley.)
25. Number of justices on the US Supreme Court.
26. Highest possible number of degrees of latitude -- i.e., the latitude of the North or South Pole.
27. Wind speed, in Miles Per Hour, of the highest wind ever recorded on Earth (at Mt. Washington, New Hampshire, USA.)
28. Worldwide total number of Reactors for Nuclear Power in operation on 1 January 1997.
29. If Nichiyobi is day 1 in Japan, what number is Kinyobi.
30. International Direct-Dial Country Code for Kenya.