Living On Your Own
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live on your own? You’d get to make your own decisions, have no one to answer to, and have fun all the time. With all of the fun comes many responsibilities. There are so many things to think about when you’re the one in control. Think about it...what does it take to REALLY make it on your own? During this project, you are going to imagine what life will be like for you when you are on your own.
So, what do you think? Where do you think you will be 8 years from now? What kinds of decisions
and responsibilities will you have? Will you be able to afford all of the luxuries in life that you
might want? Let’s see...
Answer the following questions in order to try to prepare for your future. It’s important that you be realistic and that you share this survey with someone at home. You’ll see a place at the bottom for a signature to ensure that you talk about your future plans sometime this week.
1. What do you want to be when you grow up?
2. How much schooling is required to qualify for that job?
3. Who is going to pay for that schooling? (Are you going to have college, graduate school or other loans to pay off? How much are you going to be in debt and what are your monthly payments going to be? For how long?)
4. What is the starting salary for that job? (You must speak to someone in your field of interest. Please record the person’s name, company, title and phone number in the space below along with your answer to the question.)
5. Where do you plan on living when you’re on your own? (City, State)
6. What monthly expenses do you think you will have when you’re the one responsible for paying all of the bills? (List at least 7, and come up with dollar amounts for each.)
a. _____________________________ $____________
b. _____________________________ $____________
c. _____________________________ $____________
d. _____________________________ $____________
e. _____________________________ $____________
f. _____________________________ $____________
g. _____________________________ $____________
h. _____________________________ $____________
i. _____________________________ $____________
j. _____________________________ $____________
Be sure to record any other pertinent information in the space below. Please be sure that you
listed the person you spoke to and their information in your answer to question #4. A
parent/guardian signature is required in order to receive credit for this assignment!